Friday, December 3, 2010

Reverb #3 Alive

I'm catching up.  Reverb prompt for today:

Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it .

Mid October, afternoon dog walk.  About 2:30 in the afternoon, warm day in the 60's.  I started taking the afternoon walk through the neighborhood up a hill that when I first found the route I couldn't walk 1/4 mile without stopping for breath.  This day, the dogs and I ran the hill.  There is a spot, coming to the top of the hill, around a bend with a perfect view of the divide.  Coming to this spot I think of a friend of mine and when I remember to bring my phone take a picture.  We stopped, I closed my eyes and took a breath that smelled of pine, leaves and possibility.  I knew that the surgery was the right thing to do, that it all would work out and saw a little glimpse of the next year.  And then we ran the next two miles through the neighborhood, down the hill and home.

I've never been a runner, other than skiing have never been very athletic.  Something changed when I moved to the village and I started running the dogs more.  At first it was for them and their exercise.  Then it became for me.  I haven't enjoyed every run, especially when there is wildlife stimulus for my cattledog to get all worked up.  That day something became possible that was never possible before .  I can't wait to get release from my dr. and run the hill again.

No comments:

Post a Comment