Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Reverb- Community

The prompt for December 7:

Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

My cute little mountain town has all the positive aspects of a small town and occasionally I run into what was so hard about being in a small town in high school.

I'll stick with the positive side.   A small, cute downtown with fundraisers, gallery openings, and businesses committed to surviving in the mountains.  A feel walking down main street in the summer that we all choose to be here.  Sitting on the patio at CJ's next to the creek drinking Stella and singing along to a cover band. 

My parents moved us kids to a small town while I was in high school and other than being near elder family members there was nothing cute about it.  An hour from the mall, corn field parties, and the nearest Perkins was 45 minutes away.  Now I get it.  I'm 60 minutes from the airport, 40 minutes to the nearest Target and Nordstrom is over an hour.  Still I'm not sure I would thrive in a suburb or a city.  I wasn't expecting to feel so comfortable here, feeling at home in this village started slowly, like love or rust on a car.  All of a sudden I noticed, I was home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment